As I mentioned in my last post South Dakota was very beautiful- very green and very wide open. So in homage of the of the beauty I will be only posting scenery shots. The first day we went to Mount Rushmore- the main draw of SD. You are greeted by a lane of flags of all 50 United States.
















We took the audio tour to learn more about the place and the building of it. Michael and I are into audio and trolley tours. Then we walked about 1.5 miles around the the monument. At the end we were quizzing each other on what we learned- I had a stumper of Which two presidents died on the same day and what was the day?
The answer is Thomas Jefferson and Adams both died on July 4, 1831.
Here are some pictures of the monument
Next we went to Sylvan lake (picture on previous blog) and walked around 1/2 of the lake. The road we took to the lake was very curvey- to see the Black Hills, which are not really black it is just the reflection of the sun on the montains that make them look black- two of the pictures are the same shot, just the different reflection showing them look black.
Then we drove through Custer State Park- of a 20 mile road of open park land where the deer and the antelope play and also lots of buffalo.
Then we went to Crazy Horse memorial, where a family is in the process of carving out the biggest monument in history. It is a huge undertaking and my sister thought it would never be finished, however I thought it might be finished in the next 500 years so we have a $20 bet on that one. (the white marble statue is 1/33 of what the finish product should look like)
2 comments:
Wow, you got some amazing shots! Thanks for letting me travel by osmosis!
Just when I needed a vacation, along came you and took me along...wonderful trip! Thanks for the journey!
hugs
Sandi
Post a Comment