Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Summer Time is for Family Reunions

I guess I never thought about the fact that having my grandma's live about 20 minutes apart was very convenient for family get-togethers-especially when it is the time for family reunions that happen on the same day!

Both my parents grew up in western PA, about 1 hour east of Pittsburgh. But even though we visited often when we were kids, I never explored Pittsburgh. So since Michael was already on the Eastern side of the country for business we decided we would spend the day before the reunions to explore Pittsburgh.

So I flew into Pittsburgh Thursday night, and Michael was to fly in early Friday- however due to work constraints he couldn't fly in until Friday night- so I explored the town of Pittsburgh on my own.

I first thought I would take the trolley tour, but I missed it, then I thought I do the duck tour, but missed that too, then drove into downtown Pittsburgh to go to a museum- however that did not work out either.

However the fun part about driving in Pittsburgh is all the bridges that I kept going over due to the 3 rivers that come together in Pitts (can you name them?). I finally landed by the Hines building, where there was a nice walking path that followed the northern river. I took it to the mouth where the three rivers came together.


Three of the 4 bridges that I passed by on my walk to the mouth of the rivers


If you look closely you can see the Allegheny, Monogahela, and the Ohio rivers coming together. The new Three Rivers Stadium(not called that) on the right.



The mouth



Me at the mouth (a self portrait)



Pictures of the town of Pittsburgh






A building that I thought was cool





I had a fun day exploring. That night I picked up Michael at the airport and we drove to Carrolltown (where my dad grew up). We drove to his brother's house, which is built on a piece of land that was originally my grandma's. Beside the reunions, the church picnic was going on, so we took the traditional walk from the house through the cemetery to the church. We (my parents, sister, niece, and Michael) played a couple rounds of Bingo using corn- unfortunately even playing 8 cards each round, I never got the change to yell Bingo.

The next morning we went to Barnesboro where my great grandparents (on my mom's side) owned a farm. It was sold out of the family back to the original owners about 15 years ago. Nobody lives there so one of my cousins got permission to lead the trek to the house, and then around the grounds.

The house where my grandma grew up with her 10 siblings.



The barn (no longer standing)





On the hike to the top of the property





The view from the top, and people headed back down.


Gathering at the house after the hike.

After the hike we went back to Carrolltown, where the cousins of my dad gathered. (My grandfather had 11 siblings-hence dad has a lot of cousins) Here is a picture of my dad(in the middle) and his siblings.


We left that reunion and then it was back to Barnesboro for the official reunion of my mom's side. Here is a picture of those who could make it. The people in red are my grandparents generation, the green are 2nd generation (my mom), the blues are 3rd generation (me), the yellow's are 4th generation, and the one person in white in attendance is 5th generation. However for future reunions it was noted that white is not the color of choice for the youngest generation.

6 comments:

Sandi McBride said...

What a great Family reunion! I love them...the photos of the old home place are fantastic! Talk about a large family!
Sandi

Jeni said...

In all the trips Mandy and I have made to Pittsburgh over the past 3-4 years, the parkway and other roads/bridges around that city are fascinating to see. And also, oh so easy to get lost there too at times. One trip to the burgh had us driving around and around, trying to find our way back to Rte 28 -the highway that would take us back to Interstate 80 and home and eventually we figured it out that instead of heading east and slightly north from UPMC, we took a grand tour of the entire south side of the city!
I loved the family photos though too -the old house, and the hillside around that farm. But the idea of each generation wearing a specific color - now that is pure genius! Wish my Mom's family still had the big reunion that we had every year for 56 years, until two years ago -when it was decided to disband that event due to lack of interest, is seems, on the part of most of my cousins! And would you believe, of those 56 reunions we had, I was in attendance at 54 of them? Guess that explains why I mourned deeply when it ended, doesn't it? Keep having them, keep trying your best to get back east for them too! It's a very, very important part of one's inner self to keep re-connecting, year after year, with family, regardless how distant the connection becomes.

Michelle Quinno said...

I explored Pittsburgh alone once. I had to travel there for business. I didn't see too much but it's a nice little city! I lived in Philly at the time.

Love the reunion photos and the color idea! I would have prefered the white over yellow though. I couldn't bear to wear yellow!

I have a family reunion this weekend & can't wait!

Linda Murphy said...

Okay...this was quite an adventure for you on your own. Sounds like you were really trying to learn something too!

I am just so impressed by your family and all of the history. That must have been a lot of fun to visit places from your family's past.

The generational color coding...it's such a great idea.

Your mom and dad look like they had a wonderful time from your photos.

Carver said...

Great shots and sounds like a fun time. I'm just back from a family reunion too.

Linda Murphy said...

It's so quiet here.....I keep looking. :)