Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Huck Finn's in my life

Ever since I have met him, Michael has had a way of getting people to do things for him, especially family members. Luckily I am on to him an rarely fall into his sneaky ways. Take for example one Thanksgiving when he got my nephew and niece to wash his car for him. And not only wash the car but shining the tires!





What made me think of that story is that I have spent the last couple days painting our bathroom. Now it is a very small bathroom so I thought no problem I can do it by myself.

However we had some mold, so I had to get the bleach out, and spray down the bathroom, then patch all the cracks, sand, then prime, and the window had sun damage so I had to strip the paint off it, so three days later I am ready to paint- so today I finally got two coats of paint on the cieling- and tomorrow the walls.



Well as the excitement of painting (or preparing to paint) has long gone, I thought, why was I so excited in the first place?


Well my dad (the wood shop teacher) was always doing projects around the house and making them look so easy and fun- especially the painting. However to be able to paint the fun stuff we first had to prove our selves. First we were allowed to paint the dog shed, then we got to paint the bottom stucco of the house--- so I guess when we decided to paint the bathroom - I'd must of channeled my younger days that I was tricked into thinking painting is fun- and being able to paint inside was a true prize.

7 comments:

Carver said...

I enjoyed this post and I have to say that painting is not something I do anymore and my house shows it. I used to paint and hated doing it. I also don't want to hire someone and as a result I have several rooms that need to be painted.

Linda Murphy said...

Michael does have a knack for convincing people to do stuff...smooth.

Painting can be fun and your dad must have made it fun and special.

We have to paint the boys room soon and one of my favorite parts of painting is ordering pizza for lunch! A tradition with us!

Thomas said...

Yes I remember being "allowed" to help Michael on many occaisions growing up, but he does have a way of making it fun. I learned the basics of painting from him when we all painted Chris' appartment. Michael gave the hallway section with all of the corners and hard to get to stuff. "Well this will be good practice for when you paint your own house."

After that Linda and I did paint pretty much the entire inside of our house. I thank Linda for that though. She is always good at getting a project started.

Terri- "Tom Sawyer" is the one that got all of the kids to help paint his fence white. I guess that makes you "Huck Finn"!

Michelle Quinno said...

hehe, you fell for that, huh?!! You will love it when it's all done and pretty!

Justabeachkat said...

Thinking about and planning a project is the easy part...but actually doing it sometimes makes me think "What was I thinking?!". LOL

Hugs!
Kat

Nancy Face said...

Painting is a piece of cake! :)

It's all the prep work that can do you in! :0

I bet it looks GREAT!!!

Anonymous said...

Tried painting a bathroom wall once! What a job! LY