Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The First Inauguration

With a historic election, one might want to remember America's beginning of democracy.

In 1788 NYC was chosen as the nation's capital and on April 30, 1789 George Washington stood on the 2nd floor balcony of Federal Hall in NYC ready to be sworn in but there was no bible, luckily someone ran to a local shop and the day was saved and Washington was sworn in.

Federal Hall was replaced in 1842 by the current Federal Hall. Here is a picture of Michael in front of Federal Hall in April 2008.



And here is a shot looking out from Federal Hall towards Wall Street. Michael kept telling me to back up but I was scared of falling off the platform.


So how do I know these facts? Well in April (during my blogging hiatuses- that's why you are only hearing about it now) we took The George Washington's New York walking tour, and we learned many things, like the largest bill in circulation ever, and the largest bill in circulation now, and why those things are different. We learned how Wall Street got it's name, and that there were originally 12 bill of rights instead of 10. I highly recommend the tour we had a lot of fun and learned something too!

6 comments:

Aunt Sooooz said...

Well, what do you know?! You CAN learn something while on vacation!! :- ) Looking forward to learning LOTS when we are together in December. xoxoxoxoxxo

Aunt Sooooz said...

P.S. Love the new look of the blog. Very very cool!

Linda Murphy said...

Yikes, are you on a ledge?

That sounds like a lot of fun-I'll have to remember that when my kids are learning American History, so we can do a family field trip.

You can learn something on vacation AND from reading blogs!

I think I need the walking math tour.

Carver said...

Interesting post and great shots Theresa. Happy Thanksgiving!

Michelle Quinno said...

I'd be having heart palpitations on that ledge!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Nancy Face said...

The tour sounds great...I've never been there, but I'd sure like to go.

Cool pictures, too! :)