Saturday, January 31, 2009

This and That

FINALLY!!
As you know ever since my mother-in-law let everyone but me call her Sheila- I have always given her grief about the little things in life.The newest case in point is how she slighted us in the blanket department. You see, she is a big crocheter, and she makes this really cool blanket that I always love snuggling in at her house. Well it seems, her princess Suzie has one, her youngest Tommy was made a different one when he went to college and when we were staying at Chris & Kristen's house last November I found out she made one for her handyman son Chris for a wedding gift---Does anyone see where I am going with this??--Hey what about her #1 blue eyed son- So of course I had to call her on this :)

...and guess what arrived in the mail a couple weeks ago !!!




NO TV?!!

When I started my blog about a year and a half ago we were on a no TV kick and we took the TV out of our main room and put it in the guest bedroom with the treadmill. We thought if we were going to watch TV we would have to work out at the same time- well we sold the treadmill and now look at our new living room (thanks to my parents- this is now one of Michael's favorite spots in the house now)



Did you catch that the TV is front and center again??


MOVIE UPDATE


We saw The Reader, Michael (having seen all the movies Michael is voting this one best picture- however my friend Cec declared the movie a man's version of a chick flick since her boyfriend also liked it- we are thinking Kate has something to this- I still have SlumDog to see). True Kate Winslet is going to give Meryl a run for her money. Once again this movie is not for everyone since it involves a relationship between a much older women and a teenage boy- however once that part of it is over it has some interesting plot twist. Sad (I cried- however I have cried in all the movies that we have seen on the Oscar list so far)





We also saw Frost/Nixon, which I think Ron Howard will win for best director. It is a really interesting story line between the two men. I was about 13 when Nixon was impeached, and my mother took us to see All the Presidents Men, so I know the story- however I did not know about the Frost/Nixon interviews, it was interesting to learn about this story.




Today we saw the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I liked the movie and it was an interesting premise of growing younger and how no matter which way you go you need to make the most of your life. (It is a long movie- 3hours so plan accordingly) And sorry to all the Brad Pitt fans but I am still liking Sean Penn for best actor.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you like the blanket but lets set the record straight. You are right, I did not make number 1 son a blanket when he went to college because he already had one (made by his friend's grandmother) Do you see where I am going with this, So as you can see it was really Michaels fault because he didn't want one since he already had one. I do see that Michael is using the blanket, does he give you a turn?
The next one was for Kristen's bridle shower last year (made after not crochet for about 5 years) Then, Yes Suzie since hers was 20 years old, Then yours because I had never made Michael one. (already had the yarn before you called me on it) Now I am working on the last and final blanket to replace Thomas' old blanket. I think I will be crocheted out for a while. Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. Keep the grief coming I love it.
Love
your best Mother In Law
Mrs. Murphy (AKS Sheila)

Jeni said...

Tell your mother-in-law that if she wants to keep on crocheting, she can always add me to her list and adopt me as a daughter or something! Love that blanket -beautiful pattern. Maybe if I ever decide to stop the embroidery kick I'm on and go back to doing some crochet stuff again, I'll write you to ask your MIL for the pattern!
NO TV? I don't know how anyone survives without that in the house! Ours runs almost 24/7!
I've not seen any of the Oscar nominated type movies -probably won't either till they run on tv sometime in a couple years or are available on dvd. But I'd really like to see the Nixon/Frost movie. I was a young adult back then but I never heard of those interviews either.

Linda Murphy said...

Yes, I admit that I wonder about the no TV when I saw that specky flat-screen looming in your new (and cozy) living room. However, we are happy recipients of a larger old TV, so you won't get any grief from me on that!

We almost saw Slumdog Millionaire last night, but I was sleepy to start with, so it wasn't in the cards. I do love Kate Winslet and I hope that she wins, just based on her acting record to date.

We just watched Burn After Reading with Brad Pitt and he was surprisingly funny. Kind of an odd little movie though.

Off to actually watch the Superbowl-go AZ!

Linda Murphy said...

P/S- The blanket that Sheila has at her house is probably the best blanket in the world. I think we have all taken some solidly peaceful naps with that blanket.

I would like to also say that Ian AND Connor both got blankets from Grandma Sheila as well. Not to rub it in or anything. :)

Anonymous said...

Linda,

what are you doing, are you trying to get me more trouble with Terri??????

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful blanket! Theresa, I really do think I should meet you in person real soon...I'll come over and help break it in for you. LOL!

Seriously, there's nothing like getting that special item made for you and your alone...I still have a pink poncho, and maybe even the blanket in different shades of blue, my grandmother made for me when I was a little girl. How's that for nostalgic? *HUGS & SMILES*

Carver said...

That looks like a great blanket. I think it's funny that you shamed you mother in law into making you one. All the movies you mentioned are ones I plan to see but haven't. I tend to mostly watch movies via netflix when they aren't new anymore.

Michelle Quinno said...

Oooh, that is a gorgeous blanket!! The wait was worth it.

Nancy Face said...

I'm so glad you received that wonderful blanket! It's just beautiful, and it looks so big and warm! HOORAY! :D

Linda Murphy said...

Hee, hee!