Now to the tree story. When I was in six grade, a forest ranger came in and celebrated Arbor Day with us. He gave us a sapling about 6 inches high. I took mine home, and my dad gave me a special place at the edge of his garden to plant my tree.
The first couple of years, it was touch and go for the tree, due to bugs and harsh winters, but it was a survivor. It soon blossomed into a beautiful young pine tree with gorgeous light green long needles.
Fast forward 10 years later to my senior year in college when I was living in an apartment with three of my friends and we needed a Christmas tree. I told them that my dad always had about 6-7 pine trees in various stages in our back yard that he groomed to be Christmas trees.
When I went home to pick one out, and my dad mentioned- my tree for my very own first Christmas tree. I said that sounds good, we cut it down and took it to my apartment. My roommates and I decorated it, and it looked lovely.
...However that could not be the end of the story now could it? Of course not! You see, since we cut it and put it up the same day some of the little critters who lived in it did not get a chance to escape.The spiders started to climb up the tree and hang out with the angle. Well my friend Sue hates spiders, and proceeds to spray the tree with Raid, the tree was all brown by the next day- it was very sad. (We then showed Sue the warning label on the Raid can- not to be used around plant life)
I went back to the back yard for another tree- this time we shook it out well, and let it sit in the garage for a couple of hours before bringing it to our apartment. So the picture is of my "2nd" Christmas tree on my own. Lucky for Sue there is no evidence of the first tree, or I probably send it to her each year in her Christmas card. (since my dad spent 10 years raising it and she turned it brown in about 12 hours!)
6 comments:
Aww, how sad...you knew it when it was just a little sap-chap! Sorry that happened but glad you were able to get another one. I hate spiders, too, and probably would've made the same mistake. *HUGS*
Okay, spiders on the Christmas tree? That would have been enough for me to not have a tree again. Good for Sue on Raiding the tree, I would have done the same thing. Yick!!
Hey-have a wonderful adventure this Christmas and be safe and happy!! We love you!
I've gained about 4 pounds since Halloween, but I'm not too upset about it because January is a GREAT month to get motivated again!
I thought it was pretty funny about the spiders hanging out with the angel, and sooo sad about the tree's death by Raid! Yep...I wish you had a picture of the brown tree to send to Sue every year, haha! :D
LOL, that is a funny story! I hate spiders too. It's very sad too though!
The photo is really cute.
I'm sorry about the tree but that is a funny story and would be even better if you had the picture to send to your friend each Christmas, ha.
Try not to sweat the pounds during Christmas. I know different people deal with it different way but when I have lost weight, I always give myself 3 pounds to play around with during Christmas. I definitely wouldn't try to lose weight until the new year but that's me. At the moment I'm extremely heavy for me and I'm not ready to think about it. So that's my context.
Oh no! Poor little tree. I would have been petrified of those spiders, too.
Post a Comment