Annie had a tough week and did not come up with a theme this week. However I like the idea of Time Travel Tuesday so I just made up my own this week. I chose to travel back to the day I learned how to ski.During my sophomore year in college my roommate Sue (who is still my best friend til this day) said let's join the ski club. I said sounds like a great idea but I have never skied before. If you know Sue this is not an obstacle.
So we joined the ski club and signed up for a weekend trip to Killington, Vermont and a week trip in Sugarbush Vermont. We (Sue really) decided that everyone would buy me ski stuff for Christmas and we would go up to her parents Pocono house during Christmas break and she would teach me how to ski.
Here I am, completely outfitted with all the latest ski wear, with ski's and boots, without ever skiing a day in my life and I never thought what if I don't like it? (oh the foolishness of youth)
So we get to the mountain, and Sue tells me to point my skis down the hill- so I do and she pushes me, I proceed to pick up speed and then more speed, and then I start going crooked and into the trees I went. It must of taken me 5 minutes to be able to get up. After I was up, I pointed my skis back down the hill, picked up speed and fell again after taking another 5 minutes to get up it was back to pointing my skis down the hill. So as you can see skiing is easy, it is the getting up after you fall that is the hard part.
I spent the rest of the weekend on the easy hills, and when I went to Vermont I was able to do the blue moderate trails, and in my hayday of skiing I did the black diamonds and loved moguls, but these day give me an moderately easy blue, or a long green easy trail to enjoy the sights.
Sue and I at Squaw Valley, March 2002
5 comments:
Way back when -when I was a kid about 8, maybe as old as 9, not sure about the age now, I received a pair of skis for Christmas. Not even sure who gave them to me but anyway, I got 'em. (Hadn't asked for them either I might add but someone evidently thought I was athletically inclined enough that I could teach myself to ski and would love it - perhaps. Well I was THE ONLY KID on this end of our village - probably at that time the only kid in the whole damned town with a pair of skis for that matter. Although I did try to learn a little about skiing, the best I could do was look like maybe I could consider entering a ski event as a downhill jumper type - because I never could master any more than skiing in a totally scrunched/hunched down position!
I've never been skiing! Great job doing the time travel...
Thanks for visiting me today.
Hope you are having a great week.
I have always loved that picture of you and Sue, you both look so happy. I had no idea you did the black diamonds and moguls. Cool.
What a great photo and story. I skied ONCE, and took no lessons, and went straight down the hill (only hills in Michigan) without any back and forth motion, picking up speed. Fell. Did not go back up again. Decided I'd started too late in life, and this was not for me. Speed and I just don't mix very well.
Okay - you know I love this one because we've shared our mutual klutz stories. You know all about my attempts to play basketball (all five foot one inch of me) and getting run over like a truck. And we have our memorable tennis coaching incident from New Year's Day 1998. But I didn't realize that you learned skiing so well! Black Diamonds! Wow. I'm impressed. I admire your determination. And I love the friendship you have with Sue. (P.S. to everyone else - I am not in the women's NBA.)
Post a Comment