This week we were to hunt for something practical. I chose my parents- although my mom is less practical now then she was when I was growing up (Sorry mom but it is true- too many QVC & HSN gadgets).I grew up in a house that my dad built, and he built most of the furniture inside. Our toys included stilts that he made, a bumper pool table that he made, doll houses complete with furniture that he made-ok I think you get the picture. I don't recall him ever buying anything frivolous when I was growing up.
My mom made most of our clothes until we were in third grade. She also made our doll's clothes. And made the curtains for our house. She rarely used the dryer -even in the winter time with snow on the ground she would hang the clothes on the clothes line (which by the way my dad made). I remember her having at least a zillion coupons for every possible item.
But growing up I can't remember wanting for anything, and I had a great childhood. But most important they instilled these practical values in me-which I believe keeps me very well grounded and happy with what I have.
My mom made most of our clothes until we were in third grade. She also made our doll's clothes. And made the curtains for our house. She rarely used the dryer -even in the winter time with snow on the ground she would hang the clothes on the clothes line (which by the way my dad made). I remember her having at least a zillion coupons for every possible item.
But growing up I can't remember wanting for anything, and I had a great childhood. But most important they instilled these practical values in me-which I believe keeps me very well grounded and happy with what I have.
So without further ado I give you my parents: Mr. & Mrs. Practical (for 49 years and counting!)
Picture taken by Michael in 2002
10 comments:
I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this!!!!!!!!!!!
I almost did a post like this for today.. I think we are such kindred spirits..
Your mom and dad look very precious indeed! :)
I ♥ that your mom and dad made all those wonderful things for your family...sounds like a great childhood! :o)
My parents have been married about the same number of years...their 50th anniversary is in 2 weeks! :)
That is a lovely tribute to your parents! And a wonderful childhood:)
Thanks for visiting mine earlier.
Great post; wonderful tribute to being practical in living and raising kids too. Your parents don't look near old enough to have been married for 49 years! Probably also attributes back to living a practical life too I bet!
That is SO nice! What great memories you have. You're lucky to have such wonderful parents.
Wonderful!
Thank you for coming over to my new weight loss blog and leaving such a helpful comment. I am nervous about this losing weight thing, as I really need to do it for medical reasons. Any way, thanks for that. I appreciate you coming my way! Come back again!
That is fabulous. I love the write up and such a great take on the practical theme.
I love that picture of your parents, they look so happy. Definitely a practical twosome, but I think your mom does enjoy those kitchen gadgets.
What a wonderful post, and a great photo! I'm pretty practical too, so I appreciate and admire this in others :grin: :)
Post a Comment