Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday


Annie is on a much deserved vacation to Disneyland, therefore she did not leave us a topic this week. So in honor of her vacation I am going to travel back to one of my favorite vacations.


When deciding where to go on our honeymoon, Michael and I had much different places in mind. He said Russia, I said Hawaii, he said Turkey, I said Hawaii, he said Brazil, you guessed I said Hawaii- so where did we go? Australia.


However for our 4 year anniversary (June 1998) Michael surprised me with a trip to Hawaii and that is the trip I am travelling back to. Now I could blog umpteen paragraphs on my week in Hawaii but I picked my favorite 3 adventures of the week.


#1. I swam competitively from 8 through college, and always loved to play in the waves went to the beach. I always marveled at surfers on TV and thought how cool would that be. So I took my first surfing lesson in Hawaii, and I stood my very first time and road the wave all the way in! I was quite impressed with myself- however it was beginners luck, because the rest of the day I spent trying not to fall off as soon as I got up.



#2. We got up at 3:00 am and rode up to the top of a volcano and watched the sunrise. Then we rode bikes down the volcano and had breakfast at the base of it.





#3. The road to Hana- now you may have heard about this trip and it is a must if you visit Maui. However our concierge was an adventurous type and he gave us the secret road to Hana trip. Since there are no markings on the road, we had directions like turn at the 4th tree after the wooden bridge.

The first offroad experience he had go on was a dirt road with a river through it- he told me it was my job to tell Michael to turn around if the river water looked higher than the top of our tires. Well we made it through the river then came to a dead end, we parked had to crawl over 1/4 of a mile of big boulders and then we were sitting in our private pool of water by the beach with a waterfall over our heads. Simply gorgeous.


When we made it to Hana, there was a trail through a bamboo forest to a waterfall where the trail ends (or one may think). Our concierge said yes this is a great waterfall but there is a hidden on even more impressive if you turn left and start hiking up the river. Now you are going to get to a spot where the water is running fast look to your left and there will be a tree root to grab on and pull yourself up. I think getting to this waterfall was the impressive thing.




















Now on the way back there looks like a shorter way but you it is marked not rental cars, since some of it is unpaved. Our concierge said go ahead and take it, if you get stuck I'll come get you. Well I think the rental car people in this instance new what they were talking about. We could of easily handled the dirt rocky one lane road- however this road was on the side of a cliff with no guard rail. It was quite an experience.


Of course we did do all the typical "Hawaii" stuff too, snorkeling, laying out, taking a boat ride on a catamaran, and a Luau, but those were the 3 things that stood out on my trip to Hawaii. It is gorgeous there- I highly recommend it!

4 comments:

kreed said...

We have been to Maui more than once and I have yet to do the "road to Hana" trip. We are headed back this Christmas and I may just have to finally do it this year!

Aunt Sooooz said...

You guys are so amazing. What a story! I forgot you did that. I love the way you both always keep in the game - you are always challenging yourselves and stay connected to the bigger picture. Very admirable.

Michelle Quinno said...

Oooh, nice! I've never been to Maui but I did go to Kauai with "the girls" in 2005!

Looks like you had a great time!

Jeni said...

Now that vacation sounds like a really great one - a Woo Hoo for sure!