Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Target Thursday

One of the things that has helped me is having a workout "walking" buddy. My buddy is my husband Michael. It seems if one of us is not in the mood for our nightly walk the other one will make sure they get in the mood. It is very easy to just quit on yourself- it is harder to quit on your buddy.

Get a neighbor, join a ladies walking group in town, I used to walk with a co-worker at lunch, but it can be after work too.

Before we moved to California my best friend Sue was my once a week work out buddy. It is ok if one of you is more athletic, I roller bladed while Sue jogged. But then we discovered we were pretty equal on the tennis court and started playing once a week.

But I do have to warn against being too good of friends with your workout buddy, because then we started going out afterwards, and eating more calories than we burned off. And then we would cut our games short and eat even more treats, until one time Sues hubby asked, "Are you sure you are playing tennis tonight with Theresa?" To which she replied "yes" and then he replied "won't you be needing your racket?" :) {not to make excuses but in our defense we were living about 45 minutes away from each other at this time and we had to pack a lot in our visits}

Status Report: no gain :), but no loss either.


On another note I would like to thank Nancy for the BFF award. We just discovered each other blogs and seem to share a lot of the same 80's memories.

About this award: "Presented to awesome blog owners who keep their readers excited about their posts. Their blog posts are interesting and worth reading and keep their readers looking forward to each and every post."

For a couple of months before I started blogging I read only one persons blog. It is due to her I started blogging, so since she has been their from the start I wish to pass this award onto (now don't cry nepotism) to my sister-in-law Linda. We are sister-in-laws due to the fact our husbands are brothers- but we are also friends in our own right- and have an awesome girls weekend planned at the end of November (she lives in Arizona)



7 comments:

Linda Murphy said...

And can I just say HOW EXCITED I am for girls weekend?!?!? Thank you Terri for this BFF award. Actually, the truth is since you have started blogging, you have found some truly great blogger friends and I enjoy tagging along and visiting them through you.

You NEED to check out my blog comments from the Time Travel entry. Thomas left a novel on all of his trevails. Even after hearing the stories a million times, I STILL forgot about some of them! He has a mind of STEEL!

Love you-we are definitely pals outside of being family and I love that. I'll pass the award on. :)

Renee said...

Hi Theresa! I'm new to your blog. When you get a chance, please stop on by my blog. I have something for you over there. Thanks!

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Killlashandra said...

I totally agree with the buddy system. It takes two especially when one isn't motivated. I used to do something similar before kids. ; ) Now I have time for all the kids projects and I keep hoping maybe one of the new neighbors, who all have kids too, will be interested in something like an evening walk or something.

Michelle Quinno said...

Excellent idea on the buddy system. My mom and I and a friend joined a yoga class. Sometimes I want to skip but I can't because my mom wouldn't let me.

Carver said...

Hi Theresa,

I agree the sometimes the buddy system works if you don't have too much fun. I have a friend who I've walked with off and on for over 20 years, although not so much lately. We would sometimes walk to starbucks for coffee and a scone which sort of defeats the purpose. My only problem with walking with a friend is sometimes it's easy to use it as an excuse not to walk. By that I mean if it doesn't work to get together, using that as an excuse to slack off. All things equal, it can help. That's great that you and Michael can motivate each other. Take care, Carver

Unknown said...

Lately you've been wanting to walk more than me.

Nancy Face said...

You're so right! It really helps to have a workout buddy, to keep motivated, or just to feel obligated not to let them down! It's also a lot more fun to talk to someone while working out...it seems to make the time go by so much more quickly! :)