Monday, October 22, 2007

Time Travel Tuesday


This week Annie has us travelling back to a serious accident or illness. Although I have had accidents and illnesses, luckily for me none of them have been the serious kind.

I have had a few incidents where I have needed to get stiches so I have scars on the following spots on my body:

My scalp from where I got hit in the head with a golf club.


My side of face from when I fell off backwards from my grandmas' porch (about 3-5 ft) and hung myself on a nail.

My bendy part of the finger to remind me never to use scissors to cut wire again.

My ankles due to IV's I had when I was little due to dehydration, .....

But I think I will tell you about my funniest scar- even the doctor couldn’t wait to tell this one at the dinner table- he thought it was hysterical. Want to guess where else I have a scar due to stitches? You guessed it my bum.

First off you need a little terminology lesson. A pilot chute is the gadget you use to open your parachute. Now a days it is located underneath the bottom of the parachute, but it used to be located on a leg strap.

Anyway it came time to open my parachute and I reached for my pilot chute, and I thought that’s funny I didn’t get it, I tried again and I still didn’t get it, then I looked backed for it and I saw my leg strap bobbing back and forth in the wind (at 120 mph) because it somehow loosened making it impossible to get the pilot chute.

I tried for it one more time, but didn’t get it, so I pulled my reserve parachute. My reserve parachute is round and does not have much maneuverability. When I looked down, I realized I would never make it back to the dropzone (Michael knows why). Unfortunately we were jumping in Hazleton PA at the time which has lots of huge trees which were the only thing under me at the time.

But all the theory said, tree landing are not bad, just cover your face with your arms. I remembered this, so I was nice and calm as I was about to go through a 30-40 foot tree. Well yes tree landings are soft if you pick a live tree—I happened to pick a dead tree whose branches stuck me all the way down, and yes one pierced me in the bum- and that my friends is why there is a scar there.

13 comments:

Annie said...

Yikes Theresa!!! OUCH.

I love that story about Moses having help holding his arms up by the way.

Nancy Face said...

You hung your face on a nail? You fell into a dead poke-y tree...and lived to tell the tale? WOW!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a knack for impaling yourself, my friend! *makes me cringe reading about it* Glad you survived and have the war scars to prove it! *HUGS*

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Thank God you had a reserve chute! You made my heart pound with that story.

Carver said...

Wow Theresa, That must have been terrifying when you were falling down towards the trees. I was hit in the head with a golf club as a child by another angry child whose name or identity I won't divulge on the internet. Especially since that nasty boy turned into a decent human as an adult, not a homicidal maniac. I can't believe we were both hit in the head by a golf club. Been thinking about you and I hope you are well clear of the fires. Awful to see what's happening. Take care, Carver

Barbara H. said...

Ouch! Ouch! I am wincing at all of these! I am glad you had a reserve parachute!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Nancy Face said...

I have an award for you! :)

Justabeachkat said...

Wow....amazing story of survival! You go girl!

Hugs!
Kat

Sharijoy said...

that was a most interesting TAIL!! but I wanna know how did you get down and get to the docs!! The nail hung face thing made me wince.

Jeni said...

Girl, sounds like you've been an accident waiting to happen!
If we ever meet, we can compare marks on the behind - I have a square tattoo on my tailbone - marking the spot for the radiation techs to have when I had my radiology treatments. (Also indicates to other med personnel that I have had radiation too.

Jeni said...

Oh, and I meant to tell you too, don't worry about what you put in your comments that much. Your words, speak from your heart, and always come through loud and clearly to me.

Linda Murphy said...

OUCH. I didn't realize you had such a history of injury. Glad you lived to tell the many tales.

And I agree-my heart was pounding just reading that you were falling at 120mph. Good grief!

Linda Murphy said...

Okay, I re-read that. Apparently the wind was at 120mph. But still!